Bulk Billed Eye
Sunglasses & Sport
Many of us are working around and looking at computers, tablets, mobile phones, and other digital screens every day. These devices are infinitely useful, but they can lead to blurred vision, sore eyes, headaches, eye fatigue, and other uncomfortable symptoms. This is known as digital eye strain.
If you’re looking for relief from digital eye strain in the Sydney CBD, come and visit our optometrists on-site at Chifley Plaza.Get In Touch
Living in this day and age, it’s almost impossible to avoid devices, be it a mobile phone, a tablet or a computer. These devices help you work, organize memos, come in very handy when writing school projects or papers, and have lots of other important functions. Hence, without them, one’s existence can be a struggle. Now, despite their revolutionary effect on our lifestyles, digital devices can have adverse side effects. The prolonged and continuous use of them can cause eye strain. This discomfort may be temporary and is mostly synonymous to computer users, who are known to experience this more than other groups. Before we get into its remedy, let’s look at its symptoms and causes.
- Blurred vision
- Eye fatigue
- Sore eyes
- Neck and shoulder pain
If you’ve been experiencing one or more of these symptoms then it may be time to get a diagnosis from your optometrist.
We already know that prolonged and continuous time with your digital device increases your chances of digital eye strain. However this isn’t all. Digital devices have resolutions that could be different from what our eyes are used to. These pixelated images may cause the eye muscles to strain in order to accommodate and focus on the image. This is just one of its causes, others include:
- Small screens: The screen of your computer or gadget may be too small, hence increasing the work performed by the eye muscles, causing strain.
- Screen brightness: This may be tricky. The brightness level of your device may either be too high or too low. If it’s too bright the pupils have to constrict and if it’s too low, then the pupils will dilate.
- Blue light emissions: Digital devices emit blue light which certain research papers have found it can damage the delicate macular tissues in the eyes.
- Font size: Very large or very small font sizes upset the eyes, leading to its strain.
- Multiple screens: Having gadgets or computers with multiple screens increases the eye’s work load as you will be focusing on different screens in a stretch of time.
- Posture: Your posture determines how you would see a particular object or print on the screen. Bad postures leads to eye strain.
- Age: Humans become long sighted over the age of 45 years and this exacerbates blurry vision on screens.
- Incorrect contact lens material: Wearing an improperly prescribed contact lens heightens your chances for digital eye strain.
These are most of the causes of digital eye strain, luckily there is a solution around the corner.
Just so that you’re not self-diagnosing or self-medicating, book an appointment with one of our qualified optometrists for a bulk billed eye exam. This will help assess your eye’s performance level and give you the proper advice or eyewear needed to reduce digital eyestrain.
Warranty on Frames